This is not a translation of the German webpage. Here, you find only information which is relevant for international students of the Department of Mathematics who have not completed their Bachelor's studies at TUK.
General Information on the Admission Requirements
At TU Kaiserslautern, the various Master’s degree programmes in mathematics are part of a consecutive study programme consisting of Bachelor’s and Master’s degree courses. Only the best students holding a Bachelor’s degree qualify for admission into the Master’s programme. External candidates seeking admission must prove that they have an equivalent qualification when compared to the local programme. Applicants must have obtained the necessary subject knowledge during their Bachelor’s, so they can follow the Master’s lectures at TU Kaiserslautern. Their Bachelor's degree must be of a sufficient academic quality.
Academic requirements: Applicants must have obtained a degree equivalent to the Bachelor of Science in Mathematics at TU Kaiserslautern before enrolling as a student here.
- Language requirements: Applicants must demonstrate a good level of the English language (e.g. TOEFL of 550/213/80 points). Prior knowledge in German is not necessarily required, but international students have to pass a German language test within their first academic year. German language courses are offered, starting in August and March. Students who cannot attend these courses must take part in German language courses in their home country.
In order to enable students from other Bachelor's or Diploma degree programmes (in particular students with foreign degrees) to be academically at par with the Bachelor’s students from TU Kaiserslautern, candidates might be provided with a conditional admission. This means that the candidates might have to attend additional courses (alongside their usual Master's lectures) and pass the corresponding examinations with a sufficient grade within the first academic year. Only those students who have fulfilled these requirements will be allowed to continue with their Master’s degree. These additional courses are generally prerequisites for most of the Master’s lectures in the chosen specialization, and must not exceed 60 CP.
All applicants are required to submit a filled in application form (check under Documents/Links).
Along with the completed application form, the following documents must be submitted:
- Curriculum vitae (description of the educational and perhaps professional history),
- Evidence of sufficient knowledge of the English language: TOEFL of 550/213/80 points or IELTS (band 6), German high school diploma or proof that the courses and lectures at the former university were taught in English,
- Certified copies of final certificates in German or English (university entrance certificate, Bachelor degree or an equivalent degree certificate)*,
- Academic transcript (list of all previous courses attended with exam results),
- Brief description of the contents of all mathematical lectures attended at university,
- At least two letters of recommendation,
- Letter of motivation,
- Chinese (except for Hong Kong), Vietnamese and Mongolian students must submit the APS certificate.
* If you do not receive your certification before the deadline, please contact us.
Taking into consideration the visa formalities for international applicants, the application deadline at TU Kaiserslautern is April 30 (early bird: November 15) for the winter semester and October 31 for the summer semester.
International students should bear in mind that the application deadlines for scholarships are often earlier.
A non-refundable application fee of 60 € must be paid beforehand. After submitting your application, you will be given a registration number and bank details.
Your application can only be processed after the fee has been transferred to our account. It is recommended to submit the application early enough as payments take up to one month.
Exchange students from partner universities (e.g. ERASMUS students) and students with a degree in mathematics from a German university are exempted from this procedure. The application fee paid by students who are DAAD scholarship recipients will be refunded.
Documents / Links
Department of Mathematics
Gottlieb Daimler Str. 48
Phone: +49 (0) 631 205 3246
Fax: +49 (0) 631 205 2048
contact by e-Mail